Monday, January 25, 2010

Menus and Grocery Budget


So last week's grocery spending at Costco was a complete disaster... I could make excuses... For example, we stocked up on diapers for the first time. In addition, I have been buying more food than usual as I am stocking up my freezer with cooked meals for after baby arrives. Theoretically then, our budget should even out in March when we'll be working off the inventory in the freezer. We'll see. Anyways - this was the first month of budgeting, and I hope we'll get better at this as we go. Besides, the eating out is easily half what it used to be, so I'll claim victory (of sorts.)

Groceries:
Safeway: $42 last week and $68.45 this week
Remaining for this month: -$10.15

Eating Out:
My husband took out our house guests while I was at my baby shower $81.57, and this week we went out for Greek food, $45.15.
Remaining for this month: -$14.26

Costco:
Here's where it completely falls apart... $404.24
Remaining for this month: -$204.24

Here's the menu for this week:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, smoothies, toast, homemade blueberry muffins
Lunch: Soup, salad, leftovers

Sunday: Pork stew in roasted pumpkins (it was amazing, and I froze 1 meal)
Monday: Pinto bean and butternut squash chili (+1 to freezer)
Tuesday: Flounder Meuniere with green beans and potatoes
Wednesday: Chicken Cacciatore (+ 2 to freezer)
Thursday: Beef schnitzel, roasted vegetables
Friday: Pasta with clam sauce
Saturday: Quiche

Thanks heavens it's the end of the month and we can start over!

No comments:

Post a Comment